As the name suggests, a pre-deployment survey is done prior to deploying wireless access points at the site. The purpose of this survey is to understand the site and its RF environment before the deployment.
There can be two types of Pre-Deployment Surveys
- Predictive Survey – Using the floor plan documents of the site and our Software tools, we can render predictive Heatmap visuals to give an idea, how and where the Aps should be deployed, what would be the WiFi coverage etc. Coverage calculations may not perfectly coincide with real world RF propagation, but they can give you a very good idea of what AP coverage and cell overlap will look like.
2. Active Survey – Active survey, involves being on the siet physically along with the “AP-on-a- stick” Setup. This means putting the desired AP on a telescoping stand, surveying the site, in order to check, what the actual coverage looks like.
Ultimately, a Pre-Deployment site survey seeks to determine the following questions:
- How many access points need to be installed?
- Where should they be installed?
- How should they be configured ?
Post deployment Survey
This is a survey done, post the deployment of WiFi Infrastructure. It can be either done, to validate the performance and validate the calculations done through pre-dective survey.
But mostly, this survey is done as part of troubleshooting activity when users start experiencing certian issues in WiFi connetivity like high latencey, frequent disconnections, choppy video etc. In order to indentify the sources of WiFi Problems, this survey can be helpful.
In this survey, we aim to identify the sources of the WiFI problems, like coverage black hole, Channel overallapin, co-channel interference, non-wifi RF interference etc. The most difficult source of WiFi problem to identify, are the Non-wifi RF interference, for example the microwave ovens can cause considerable interfence is the 2.4Ghz band. And hence we use specialised tools like Metageek for such activity.